Thursday, June 11, 2009

Tomato Sauce

Everyone has their version. Each of my family members have "their" recipe. I know they all have similar ingredients but each seems to taste just a little bit different. I wish I could replicate my Dad's sauce but I know he uses different tomatoes that I can't get here in Colorado. My brother and Rebekah like a meat sauce. I will occasionally add sausage to my sauce but usually its just this simple sauce. I like to make my sauce a little thicker then his and maybe a touch sweeter. Either way this is definitely a recipe steeped in tradition and dates back to my Dad's parents both in their kitchen and the restaurant. I have never seen a bottle of tomato sauce in my parent's house and I don't think I ever will. I hope our house will be the same!

Homemade Tomato Sauce
2-3 T evoo
1 large yellow onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1-3 T of the following fresh herbs (or 2 t dried) basil, oregano, thyme
2 carrots, small dice
2 celery stalks, small dice
2 T tomato paste
crushed red pepper
1 20oz. can crushed tomatoes (good quality)
1 20oz can whole tomatoes (good quality)
1 rosemary sprig
1 bay leaf
1 t sugar

I like to make my sauce in a big old cast iron skillet and then transfer it to a big pot to simmer. So heat the cast iron skillet until hot and then add the evoo. Next add the onion and turn it down to cook. Add the garlic, carrots and celery and cook until the onions are soft and tender. Add the herbs and the red pepper flakes and cook for 2 minutes. Mix tomato paste into vegetables until coated. If your skillet is big enough add the cans of tomato (as I stated, you really need to go for the best tomatoes on the shelf), if its not then move everything into the big pot. Finish with the rosemary sprig,sugar and the bay leaf and heat over low heat for at least 2 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment