Sunday, June 14, 2009

Grilled Chicken Gyros

"Are you Greek too?" This is the question I got from Dave tonight with a full mouth! These were absolutely amazing. I may even go out on a limb and say that this was one of the best meals we ever made! Now that I say this my mind starts wandering and I think of "all" the meals we have made and I wonder, is this really the best? I can't even begin to debate this one, we will just leave it as- It was that good.

If you look at the picture, you will see the beautifully filled pitas on the right. Dave stuffed these. If you look at the messy, falling over one on the left you will see the one that I made! I was so excited to eat these that I didn't bother to cut open up the pita! I really need to work on my presentation!

The chicken was moist and delicious. The tzaziki sauce had the perfect hint of garlic and the soft and pillowy homemade pitas were amazing!

Tzatziki sauce
16 oz. plain Greek yogurt
1/2 hothouse cucumber
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
Salt and fresh cracked pepper
Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
Extra virgin olive oil

You don't need to strain Greek yogurt, if you use regular yogurt then you should strain in. Shred the cucumber using a hand shredder or grater. Wrap in a towel a squeeze to remove as much water as possible. Mix together yogurt, cucumber, garlic, salt and pepper to taste, and lemon juice. Drizzle lightly with olive oil. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes but preferable an hour before serving to allow the flavors to combine.

Yogurt Marinated Chicken
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 lemon juiced
2 t red wine vinegar
2 T extra virgin olive oil
6-8 oz plain Greek yogurt
1 T dried oregano
Salt and pepper
2-4 chicken breasts

diced tomatoes
shredded lettuce
feta cheese
red onion

Whisk together garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, olive oil, yogurt, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste in a medium bowl. Add the chicken and mix well to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

Grill chicken and cut into strips.

Cut each pita in half and open pocket. Stuff each pita with chicken, tomatoes, red onion, shredded lettuce, feta cheese and tzatziki sauce. Serve immediately.

Adapted from Annie's Eats AND Elly Says Opa!

No comments:

Post a Comment