Monday, June 1, 2009

Spanish Chicken and Rice


Its June 1st today and I saw snow on cars as I drove home from work tonight. June 1st!!! Looking back at my second post in June of 2008 it snowed on June 7th last year! So we really aren't too far off in terms of "summer" in the Rockies. I believe we will have snow on the ground when I wake up for my early morning run before work at 7am. Oh how I love living at 9000 feet! I was imagining a warm comforting dinner tonight. Dave will need it after coming home from kayaking tonight. Yes, snow, rain and kayaking. I know, I know. No need to say anymore. On to the dish...

Spanish Chicken and Rice
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 chicken breasts, cut into pieces
salt and fresh cracked pepper
1 medium onion, sliced
1 poblano pepper, sliced
3 cloves garlic minced
3/4 cup dry white wine (we used a Sauvignon Blanc)
1/2 C chicken broth
1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, including liquid
1 cup long-grain white rice
1/4 t safron
1 cup frozen peas
1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
1/4 cup pimiento-stuffed Spanish olives, chopped

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels. Season with salt and pepper and cook until golden brown, 2 minutes per side. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the wine, and scrape up any brown bits, simmer 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and their liquid, rice, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, safron and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 25 minutes. Stir the peas into the rice and chicken and cook, covered, until heated through, about 2 minutes. Spoon the chicken and rice onto individual plates and sprinkle with the parsley and olives.

recipe adapted from Cooking Light/Real Simple (picture from CookingLight/Real Simple)

No comments:

Post a Comment