Thursday, May 28, 2009

Lemony Shrimp with White Beans and Couscous


Dave made this dish last night while I prepped our pot roast for Wednesday. I have the fear of having the crockpot on while we are out of the house so I cook my meals at night while we are sleeping so make sure that if something goes wrong we are close by. I know its wierd but I think- better safe then sorry. I also think that it just tastes better after it has sat for a while and the flavor get a chance to meld. Its kinda like reheated pizza. Better the second time around!

On to this dish. I didn't realize that it was a Real Simple magazine recipe until last night. I haven't had much success with these recipes. I think they are just that, real simple. They seem to lack the flavor punch if left alone. I reflected my doctored up modifications below. I realized that the Spanish Chicken and Rice recipe is also a Real Simple recipe and we doctored up that one as well. I think my changes make each of these dishes more flavorful. This was a good dish, not a great dish but a good.

Lemony Shrimp with White Beans and Couscous
Recipe adapeted from Cooking Light / Real Simple (picture from Cooking Light/Real Simple)

1 1/2 cups whole wheat couscous
Kosher salt and black pepper
2 T butter
3 cloves garlic, chopped
4 scallions, chopped
1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 15.5-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed
1/2 C fresh flat-leaf parsley
3 T fresh lemon juice
1/4 C chicken broth
zest of one lemon

In a saucepan, bring 2 cups water to a boil. Stir in the couscous and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cover and let sit off heat for 5 minutes. Add 1/2 the lemon zest to the couscous and fluff with a fork before serving. Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and scallions and cook for 30 seconds. Add the shrimp and cook, stirring, until they begin to turn pink, about 3 minutes. Stir in the beans, parsley, lemon juice, the remaining butter, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, broth and zest. Cook until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve with the couscous.

No comments:

Post a Comment