Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Swiss Chicken Cutlet

Okay, this is a childhood favorite. As many of you know I come from a very long line of amazing cooks. Coming from a pretty large and close Italian family goes hand in hand with really good eating. I mean really good! So after many years of eating this I can finally say that I have made it!
My Aunt Linda is the keeper of this recipe. I feel blessed to have finally added it to my recipe box. Thanks Linda!
Here is a little glimpe into the Bertolami clan. So you can see what I am reminded of each time I think of this dish. Between Thanksgiving and Christmas lies my cousin Truckie's birthday. (In fact about 90% of my family's birthdays are between September and December.) It became a family tradition to celebrate Truckie's birthday each year even if he wasn't present. As we all got older and went on to college his birthday was still celebrated... without him! For some reason I can't remember any other main dish served at this gathering even though I know we probably didn't eat it all that often. What can I say about a young girl's food obsessed mind, tunnel vision!
Swiss Chicken Cutlet
5 chicken breasts, butterflied
salt
2 beaten eggs
1 C fine dry bread crumbs (or as much is needed to coat chicken)
1/4 C evoo (or as much is needed to cook chicken)
3 T butter
1/4 C flour
1/2 t salt
1/4 t pepper
2 1/2 C milk
1/2 C dry white wine
1 C shredded Swiss cheese
Avocado slices
Tomato slices

Butter fly each chicken breast to make two pieces out of each breast. Place chicken between two pieces of wax paper. Pound out toa bout 1/4 inch thickness using a meat mallet. Sprinkle lightly with salt. Dip in beaten egg then in bread crumbs.
In skillet heat 2 tablespoons of oil. Brown chicken cutlets in batches adding more oil as needed. Set browned chicken on a paper towel lined plate and set aside.
In a saucepan melt butter, wisk in flour and cook for 1 minute. Add salt and pepper. Wisk in milk and cook until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat and stir in wine. Pour half of the sauce into a baking dish. Arrange chicken cutlets atop sauce. Top with remaining sauce.
Cover and chill for several hours or overnight. Bake covered in 350 degree oven for about 40-50 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinke with cheese, top with avocado and tomato. Return to oven for 5-8 minutes or until cheese is melted. Makes 10 servings.

Source: My Aunt Linda

2 comments:

  1. So funny that I finally get this recipe through you! Missed you both at Christmas this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog. Hilary, I am so glad that your Mom sent it to me.

    The chicken recipe is great to make ahead of time. Made it recently for some friends that came to dinner during the holiday season.

    We missed you and Dave at Christmas but hope that you had a wonderful day.

    It was sad not to see Non sitting at the head of the table but he was in our thoughts and prayers.

    Happy New Year to you and Dave.

    ReplyDelete