Sunday, December 27, 2009

Christmas Morning Eggs Benedict

We had a busy Christmas morning. After indulging in a festive but huge dinner we just couldn't make it out to the Christmas eve service. So we got up early made some coffee and opened up our stocking presents, took the dogs out and then hopped in the car and raced over to Breckenridge for the 9am service. Returned home and plopped on the couch to open up presents... and keep opening up presents. Man, did we get spoiled this year (and every year). By the time we were finished it was 1pm. We headed into the kitchen and whipped up our favorite eggs Benedict. Oh it was so good. So good in fact that I forgot to take a picture before digging in, hence my half eaten plate. I couldn't even finish my second English muffin because it was so big! We received a gift package of English muffins from Nancy and saved these huge ones for sky scraper eggs Benedict!

I really think that eggs Benedict is a pretty easy recipe but oh so elegant and so good! This recipe goes way back in and brings back some great memories. We moved to Colorado in October of 2000. We thought that it was just the four of us (Casey, Chris, Dave and me and George) Over the next year we found out just how many moved out west. There was something like 30 of us between Boulder, Denver, Summit County, Vail and Aspen. It was lots of fun and made living so far from family not so hard. So needless to say our couches were always full on weekends. I made lots of breakfasts for our couch surfers! One in particular was eggs Benedict. In fact my two roommates from college Leila and Erin bought me a egg poacher! I remember opening it and thinking, hmm, this is interesting but why do I need this kitchen gadget? I quickly found out why, they both told me this was so I could make eggs Benedict more easily. Now I got it!! It was not just to ease my time in the kitchen but to make it more frequently!! Needless to say I think of them each time we make this and it brings a smile to my face to think of all the great times we had with our college group before most of them moved back east. Good times!

Sky Scrapper Eggs Benedict
2 sticks unsalted butter
3 egg yolks
1 T fresh lemon juice
white pepper
salt
2 English Muffins
4 eggs

Melt the butter and set aside. After the butter has rested, carefully skim off the white fat. Leaving behind the clear butter. (This is clarified butter.). In a saucepan over very low heat whisk the egg yolks constantly until thickened, about 3-5 minutes. (Be careful not the scramble the yolks.) Add the butter one spoonful at a time to the yolks, whisking constantly. Do not add the solids that have separated and fallen to the bottom of the butter bowl. Once finished adding the butter remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the lemon juice a dash of white pepper and salt.

Toast your muffin and poach your eggs and assemble topping your sky scrapper with the decedent and sinful Hollandaise.

Topping your muffin:
We change it up, but never the traditional Canadian bacon.

Here are a few ideas:
Saute a large handful of fresh spinach with a touch of evoo, lemon juice and salt and pepper
Sliced avocado
Sliced tomato
Bacon
Vegi Sausage

No comments:

Post a Comment