Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Stuffed Turkey Meatball Subs

I had some lofty goals and planned on succeeding on each one the minute I got home from work yesterday! I wanted to take Miss Saly for a hike and decompress from the work day and enjoy some time with her. I then planned on heading right into the kitchen for some much needed cooking therapy. I've neglected this blog lately and have really missed my cooking. First on the list was Meatball Subs. With the remaining ground turkey I made my version of Italian Wedding Soup. More on this recipe coming. We had a huge amount of mozzarella to use up so I decided to stuff each meatball with a little cube before baking. Add some homemade sauce and a crusty toasted sub roll and you've got a great meal. We chose a nice cesar salad to accompany. They turned out quite tasty and hit the spot on a cold fall night.
Stuffed Turkey Meatballs
a palmful of bread crumbs
1/2 white onion diced
1/2 green pepper diced
2 T Parmesan chees
2 T fresh parsley, minced
1/2 t Italian seasoning
1/2 t garlic powder
pinch of red pepper flakes
1 pound of lean ground turkey
1 egg
2 T tomato paste
salt and fresh cracked pepper
8-12 1/2 inch cubes of mozzarella
Combine onion through red pepper flakes in a large bowl. Add tomato paste and gently combine to coat. Add turkey and egg and lightly mix to incorporate. Form into "meatball" size balls and gently flatten. Place mozzarella in the center and then roll back into a ball enclosing the cheese. Place on a lightly oiled cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment