Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Creamy Fettuccine with Brussels Sprouts and Mushrooms

I had tagged this recipe a couple of days ago and decided that instead of it sitting on the very long list I should make it right away! Oh man, am I glad I did! It was delicious. I never have creamy pasta dishes because they make my stomach hurt. I decided to try this one because of the milk rather then the heavy cream. It was a hit on both sides of the table. I know there is a huge aversion to Brussels sprouts but we love them. Slice them nice and thin and maybe you will too. This recipe has a simple ingredient list as far as it goes. I used Sherry wine so I cannot vouch for the vinegar. I did increase the salt and pepper but otherwise kept to the recipe.

Creamy Fettuccine with Brussels Sprouts and Mushrooms
1 package fettuccine
1 T evoo
4 C sliced cremini mushrooms, sliced
4 C Brussels sprouts, thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 C dry sherry or 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
2 C low-fat milk
2 T flour
1 t salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 cup finely shredded parmesan, plus more for garnish


Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender. Drain, return to the pot and set aside.

Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and Brussels sprouts and cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms release their liquid, 8 to 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add sherry (or vinegar), scraping up any brown bits; bring to a boil and cook, stirring, until almost evaporated, 10 seconds (if using vinegar) or about 1 minute (if using sherry).

Whisk milk and flour in a measuring cup, add to the skillet with salt and pepper. Cook stirring, until the sauce bubbles and thickens, about 2 minutes. Stir in cheese until melted. Add the pasta to the sauce and gently toss. Serve with more cheese, if desired.

source: EatingWell

No comments:

Post a Comment