Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Chicken Cutlets topped with Spinach, Mushrooms and Blue Cheese

I think Dave is a better cook than I am. There I said it. Let it be known to the 5 people that visit my blog each week! At least I know that I'm not admitting it to the world!

I had a meeting after work so Dave was in charge of dinner. No problem he says. We had chicken in the fridge. As I ran out the door in the morning I remember saying that there was spinach and blue cheese that needed to be used up. I came home to the most amazing meal. I should have known that we would be having chicken cutlets. He absolutely loves chicken cutlets. We go through stages where I ask him what he wants for dinner and it always seems to be chicken parmesan or spicy chicken cutlets or chicken parm calzone. He is very creative with his chicken cutlets! He always wants to make more then we need to he can eat them for lunches. Needless to say we haven't had chicken cutlets in a really long time so it was a very nice surprise!

Don't skip pounding the chicken and double dipping the chicken in the eggs and breadcrumbs this makes them so tender and perfectly coated. I actually don't typically do this step but it was a nice addition, as I said this is Dave's recipe!
Chicken Cutlets topped with Spinach, Mushrooms & Blue Cheese

2 chicken breasts
1/2 C Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
1 egg
2 T milk
2 C fresh spinach
1/4 C diced onion
8-10 mushrooms, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 C Blue cheese, crumbled
1/4 C chicken broth
evoo

Cut each chicken breast in half, lengthwise to create four pieces. Pound chicken between wax paper until thin and even in thickness. Beat egg and milk in a medium sized bowl. Pour breadcrumbs into a pie dish. Place chicken into egg mixture and toss to coat. Meanwhile, heat enough evoo to coat the bottom of a cast iron skillet until almost smoking. Using a fork or tongs move chicken from egg mixture to breadcrumbs and coat both sides. Gently dip chicken back in egg mixture and them back into the breadcrumbs. Cook chicken on both sides until lightly browned. Remove to paper towel lined plate. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Carefully wiped skillet out with a paper towel to remove browned bits. Turn heat down and add a touch of evoo and the garlic. Add onions and cook for 5 minutes. Next add the mushrooms and continue cooking until onions are translucent. At the last minute throw the spinach in and cook until just wilted.

Place chicken in a large baking dish and spread spinach mixture evenly over chicken. Finish dish by sprinkling blue cheese over top. Pour chicken broth around chicken and bake for 15 minutes or until cheese begins to melt.

No comments:

Post a Comment