Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Cajun Chicken Pasta

I saw this recipe in a couple of places and had made a version of it a few years back. I hadn't made it again because the recipe I had, called for heavy cream and this isn't something I use. I'm not one for creamy dishes. They upset my stomach and don't really fit into our definition of a healthy lifestyle. So the addition of even milk in a recipe is rare for us. But for some reason I just couldn't get this recipe off my list and decided that it needed to be made! I'm glad I did. It was quite good! We enjoyed the Cajun flavors and the shredded carrots added a nice flavor and helped create the creamy factor. My inspiration came from two different sites- Cooking Light and Annie Eats. Take a look a these two recipes and let me know if you find the other more appealing!

Cajun Chicken Past
For the Chicken:
2 Chicken Breasts
salt & pepper
1 T Emrils Escence
1 t evoo
Pasta:
1 box pasta (I used angel hair)
1 T Emerils Essence
1/2 t cayenne
1 small onion, diced
2 carrots, shredded
1 C frozen peas
2 C milk
2 T flour
2 garlic cloves, minced
pepper & salt
1/2 C flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
1 C parmesean

Chop chicken in to bite size pieces and toss with Essence and salt and pepper. Heat large skillet over medium-high add evoo and cook chicken until lightly browned, 4-6 minutes. Transfer chicken to plate. Cook pasta according to package directions, drain and set aside. Add garlic, onions, peppers, and grated carrots to pan and cook for 3-6 minutes until onions begin to soften. Sprinkle vegetables with essence and cayenne and toss to combine. Add peas and toss. Sprinkle flour over vegetables and mix well. Add milk to pan and cook until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. When the sauce has thickened, add cooked pasta and chicken to pan. Turn heat to medium-low until chicken is heated through. Add cheese and parsley and toss to combine. If you feel that there isn't enough sauce add a 1/4 cup of chicken broth.

No comments:

Post a Comment